Monday, February 1, 2016

Book & Audio Review: His Secretary Undone by Melanie Marchande

His Secretary Undone by Melanie Marchande


Publisher & Release Date: Self-published, October 26, 2014

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Length:  302 pages

Heat Level: 3 Flames

Rating: 4.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

I’m about to throw an ashtray at my boss’s head.

Turns out, the mind behind my favorite, steamy romance novels...the ones I only read in private...the ones that are my only escape after a long day of dealing with The Boss From Hell? It’s not Natalie McBride, the sweet, rural housewife.

It’s him.

That’s right: my boss, Adrian Risinger, the thirty-three-year-old, maddeningly sexy, pissant billionaire “bad boy" who thinks he runs my life. He is also the author of all my deepest, most secret fantasies. And to make matters worse, he needs me to impersonate “Natalie” at a series of book signings and conventions. But, of course, that’s only if I want to keep my job.

On second thought, I’m going to need something heavier than an ashtray.

Buy Links:



Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

I’m so glad I discovered this book while looking for one with the audio version for $1.99. This is the first book I have read by Ms. Marchande, but it will not be the last. His Secretary Undone has an interesting plot, a bit different than the typical billionaire romance, and I throughly enjoyed it.

Meghan has the boss from Hades, and her mother is just as bad. When she finds an erotic romance series, she is able to escape from her dismal life each night as she loses herself in the pages of the books. She decides to email the author, never expecting a response. To her great surprise, she does get a reply, and they end up corresponding often. She feels she has found a kindred spirit.

Adrian has a huge secret and a dilemma on his hands. He writes erotic romance under a pen name. When his agent insists he start going to book signings and conferences, he decides to get his secretary to pose as the author and him as an editor.

When Meghan’s boss informs her that she will be acting as the writer of the erotic romances he pens, she is blown away to discover he is the author of the books she’s been reading. She’s appalled that she has been emailing her boss about her feelings toward him, but then he mentions that his agent handles all his emails.

Can Meghan pose as the author when she is falling further under his spell each day, or should she refuse, and keep her heart safe?

I’m not a huge fan of the first person POV, but it works great for this book. The writing flows seamlessly between narrative and dialogue. I loved the banter between Adrian and Meghan. The chemistry between the two is combustible from the first page to the last.

Meghan is a bit different from the usual heroine. She isn’t slender or gorgeous. She’s a real woman, a bit overweight and has insecurities because of it. She’s completely surprised when she realizes Adrian is attracted to her. It’s no wonder she has problems with self-esteem with such an emotionally abusive mother.

Even though my first exposure to Adrian’s character is less then desirable, I still liked him. He’s a complicated guy with many layers to his personality. Ms. Marchande is able to get the reader to understand what he’s all about, even though, she doesn’t switch to Adrian’s POV until the last chapter. I’m glad she did do that because it confirmed my feelings toward Adrian.


If you are looking for a novel with a unique twist, with great characters, then you will enjoy His Secretary Undone as much as I did. Evidently there is a second book that continues their story, even though this one does have a happy ending. I look forward to reading it. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment